Monday, February 26, 2007

Most Memorable Horror Movie Lines

This, friends, is a Roy and Amander compilation list. It is in no particular order. I should add that these are not only memorable lines from horror movies, but lines that have seeped their way into our day to day interactions with one another. (Does this horrify? Perhaps. People in creepy relationships shouldn't throw bones?)


MOST MEMORABLE HORROR MOVIE LINES



  • "The saw is family." -Texas Chainsaw Massacre II
  • "I kick ass for the Lord." -Dead Alive
  • "I'll tear your soul apart." -"Pinhead," Hellraiser
  • "I think we're gonna need a bigger boat." -Jaws
  • "They're/we're coming to get you, Barbara." -Night of the Living Dead/Shawn of the Dead
  • "That's one pissed off goalie." -Freddy Vs. Jason
  • "Liver alone." - Scream
  • "Your mother ate my dog." -Dead Alive
  • "Look Ma, I'm a Picasso." -Jack Frost (Killer Mutant Snowman)
  • "Welcome to Prime Time, Bitch." -Nightmare on Elm Street III
  • "Now you're playing with power." -Nightmare on Elm Street V
  • "It's okay, he just wants his machete back." - Jason X
  • "(Jason Voorhees) makes me think of a little girl in a pink dress sticking a hot dog through a doughnut." -Jason Goes to Hell (Friday the 13th Part 9)
  • "Zombies, man, I never could stand them." -Land of the Dead
  • "Babies, fat juicy babies." -The Hills have Eyes
  • "I don't drink...wine." -Dracula (a few versions)
  • "I liked you before you started eating people."-Return of the Living Dead III
  • "There's a very simple formula, everybody's a suspect." -Scream
  • "It's alive." -Frankenstein
  • "(#) more days to halloween." -The Halloween song from, Halloween III (Season of the Witch)
  • "They mostly come out at night, mostly." -Aliens (my suggestion of this quote started a long debate over the inclusion of Aliens in any horror film list. Roy contends that it is purely sci-fi. I say it is both science fiction and horror. We, oddly, agree that the first Jaws is horror, but all subsequent Jaws movies are action-adventure or drama...with a shark. The Aliens debate shall be elaborated upon at a future date. For now, it is included because I have the means to post and Roy does not.)
  • "Who is smoking?" -Love at First Bite
  • "One of us, one of us, gooble-gobble, gooble-gobble." -Freaks
  • "He wants you too, Malachi." -Children of the Corn
  • "This is for you, Damian, this is all for you." -The Omen
  • "One, two: Freddy's coming for you. Three, four: better lock your doors. Five, six: grab a crucifix. Seven, eight: better stay up late. Nine, ten: never sleep again." -Nightmare on Elm Street



What is most interesting to me about this list is that many of these lines are funny. They reflect on the humorous moments in an otherwise frightening situation. This raises a few interesting issues for me. Is it the contrast between humor and fear which makes those moments of levity so memorable? Is there something inheirently funny about death and brutality that we, in our logical brains, deny, but which, somehow, releases itself on a more subconsious level in moments of fear? Do we secretly enjoy it? Is it the pagentry of death and violence (real violence of any sort, and to an extent, even filmed violence in dramatic situations, war movies for example, horrifies and nauseates me, but I will laugh at a quick beheading.) I know many people who laugh when they are scared or nervous, this makes me think that somehow there is a connection between these emotions and responses. Scary? Funny? I don't know...it is interesting.

As a bonus: Roy will be posting a list of his top 10 picks for Funniest Horror Films shortly. Perhaps he can add to the conversation.

Please, friends, feel free to comment and add to this list. I'm sure there are a hundred lines I am forgetting.

2 comments:

ginab said...

'The saw is family' is a riot (it is!). IZzz. And Dracula of course (of course). But on aliens being horror: outer space is pretty scary given so much of it is unknown. Not to bring back the Canary, but I'm thinking to travel the unknown is not far off the perch of walking down a dark hallway uncertain where to look (do you check your back?). So I'm with you in ways lady A that Alien is both sci 'n horror, and then I'm with your monsieur R.

Unknown said...

priceless lines. thanks for compiling them for my workplace and conversation-augmenting enjoyment