Monday, February 12, 2007

Valentine's Day Horror Picks

Darlings, it's almost Valentine's day and what better way to spend it then the way I spend it every year: huddled beneath covers, avoiding the February chill, and watching horror films with my sugar booger. What follows are my picks for best Valentine's day horror films and, tommorrow, a few words regarding the horror film as aphrodisiac. Happy V-day!



LOVE,
Amanda





  1. My Bloody Valentine(1981)-- This is an obligatory #1 pick for Valentine's Day. The plot: miners, massacres, bloody hearts in boxes, pick axes, gas masks, dire warnings, 20 year anniversaries, and VALENTINES DAY PARTIES!! Aww. A heart in a box? You shouldn'a have. (No one ever gives me a heart in a box.)
  2. Valentine (2001)--Starring one, David Boreanaz ("Angel"), this is your standard revenge slaughterfest. Not bad, not surprising, but full of lovely people dying in dramatic fashion. Not a whole sale slaughterfest, but a nice who-done-it reminiscent of older films. Aww. A box of gross maggoty chocolates? You're too much. (And Fellas, David Boreanaz's hotness may get you forgiveness points if you opt for this movie for Valentine's Day.)
  3. My Boyfriend's Back(1993)--a horror-comedy hybrid, think "Can't Buy Me Love" meets a reanimated road block. A light hearted (hearted...punny) movie, very few scares, but sweet. Not for fans of more explicit, or serious, horror. Why this didn't star a Corey is beyond me.
  4. Zombie Honeymoon(2004)--Perhaps I am a creepy girl (people have called me this), but I actually think this is a romantic film. I would much rather watch this than any number of cutesy love stories (although this film does have it's cutesy moments). What limits does love have? Is death one of them? What about undeath? This film stirred some very tender discussions in my household. (It's as sweety cute as I get.)
  5. Candyman(1992)--Not only is it, in my opinion, one of the scariest and most underrated horror films in the past 20 years, it is also a love story (of sorts). This movie is sweetly (no pun intended this time) seductive and damn scary. It is the first film I ever saw that resulted in a popcorn toss moment (a popcorn toss moment is a quick scare that's so sudden and intense that your popcorn goes flying...it is akin to the cat in a closet scare, only it doesn't have to be a cat in the closet). This is the type of film that will make one cling to their loved one. And although the lead actor, Tony Todd, isn't exactly sexy...his voice is. Turn off the lights, turn up the volume and sit close together, couples. Aww. Candy full of razor blades and kisses made of bees? You're so sweet.

Kisses are just bites without the teeth (sometimes).

1 comment:

ginab said...

That heart is phallic. I don't care, 'tis. it'tis. And run that over the tongue, the near ditty, ten times.

but kisses are huh? w/o teef?

-ginab